I have a question along the same lines. The syntax used for AuthHosts is

+[ip-address-template]
?[ip-address-template]
-[ip-address-template]

I know the ? means it asks the user if they want to accept the incoming connection,
but what's the difference between the + and - (plus
& minus) it doesn't explain what they do under
http://www.uk.research.att.com/vnc/winvnc.html

Cheers

Ben

Triumph International Ltd
Arkwright Road, Groundwell, Swindon, SN25 5BE

Ben Blackmore
I.T. Department

Phone:      +44 (0) 1793 720126
Fax:           +44 (0) 1793 720179
Mail:           [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Visit us at: http://www.triumph-international.co.uk

privileged, proprietary, or otherwise private information. If you have
received it in error, please notify the sender immediately and delete
the original. Any other use of the email by you is prohibited.

                      "Kaciuba,

                      Michael - AUS            To:      "'[EMAIL PROTECTED]'" <[EMAIL
PROTECTED]>
                      PER"                     cc:

                      <[EMAIL PROTECTED]         Subject: AuthHosts syntax

                      au>

                      Sent by:

                      [EMAIL PROTECTED]

                      ealvnc.com

                      08/07/2003 09:42

Im working in a network environment where we are using winvnc on our pc's
and servers. Currently we are using the HKLM\Software\ORL\WinVNC3\AuthHosts
key to define who can use vnc on the network. Until now we have had no
issues. Basically our string looks something like this
"-:+10.0.60.141:?10.0.31.169:?10.0.20.240:?10.0.20.184:" By default all
computers can not use vnc, there is one ip (10.0.60.141) which can force
accept, and we have listed a whole bunch of computers that can query our
network computers for control. Heres the problem. Our string is reaching its
max char length of 255. Were at 247 at the moment. To combat this weve moved
all our vnc users to ip's between 10.0.60.110 and 10.0.60.119. What were
want to do is take out all the individual ip's and just have a range between
10.0.60.110 and 10.0.60.119 in the key.

We know that entering a value of ?10.0.60 will mean that all ip's upder
10.0.60.x will be able to query but what i need to know is, will entering a
value of 10.0.60.11 work for only that ip address or will it work for
10.0.60.11x (eg. 10.0.60.111, 10.0.60.112, 10.0.60.113, ...) And if not, is
there a way to enter a range of ip addresses instead of listing each
individual ip.

Kinda hard to explain, any help appreciated. Thanks Guys.

Michael Kaciuba
Network Administrator

Jardine Lloyd Thompson
Phone:             (08) 9426 0939