Sounds like you're a bit confused about how this works (we've all been
there!).

If you want to connect to a remote machine so you can view and operate it
from a local machine, then you have to install and configure the VNC
_server_ on the remote machine.  I always configure the server to remove the
desktop background, and to accept connections only from my own (static) IP
address.  You also have to set a password.

Then you run the VNC _client_ on the local machine, and enter the IP address
of the remote machine.  Sure, most machines are behind a router these days;
you have to configure the router to forward the default port (5900) to the
machine you want to connect to.  This site might help:
http://portforward.com/

Alternatively, you can run a "listening" client on your local machine.  Just
start the client using the -listen argument - create a shortcut with this
command string:  "C:\Program
Files\RealVNC\VNC4\vnc-P4_3_2-x86_win32_viewer.exe" -listen

Then, with the VNC server running on the remote machine, ask someone there
to right-click the server icon in the system tray, and pick "add new
client".  Tell them to enter your IP address, and the connection will be
initiated from their end.  You'll have to configure any router to forward
port 5500 to your local machine.

Hope that helps,

Phil, London

Message: 1