From: Paul Dunn [mailto:sa212+...@cyconix.com]
Sent: 25 November 2010 19:55
To: VNC list
Cc: Philip Herlihy
Subject: Re: VNC to N3 network?

On 25/11/2010 14:40, Philip Herlihy wrote:
> Your best bet is using a listening client and initiating a session from
the
> controlled machine.

This is my fallback plan, but it's so inconvenient that it probably
wouldn't be worth it. I don't think this could be blocked - could it?
The surgery computer can always see outside N3 on a browser, so
presumably tunnelling on 80/443 should be fireproof.

The issue for incoming connections, as you point out, is authorisation.
It's possible to get authorisation, but it's next to impossible to find
out *how* to get authorisation. This is what I've been googling for.
There are half-a-dozen commercial solutions that do exactly this, but I
can't find anyone at N3, or any technical docs, to tell me what's
involved or who to apply to. You can apply to use an existing
third-party commercial solution, but that's it. The third-party
solutions have various problems, apart from price - some only encrypt
between the surgery computer and the N3 gateway, some use offshore/US
servers, and so on. End-to-end vnc/ssh is my preferred solution.

So, what I was hoping was that someone here has already been through the
pain, and found out how to apply to get through the gateway, or how to
get through without finding someone to apply to...

-Paul