On Mon, 14 May 2012, Long, Phillip GOSS wrote:

On Wed, 25 Apr 2012, Mike Miller wrote:

Is it possible to boot Ubuntu, not load an X window manager and still run Xvnc on :1 for remote access?

If I'm actually sitting at the machine, I have to load a window manager to be able to see vncviewer, I assume?

Is that how it works?

What I've been doing is using IceWM in Xvnc and exclusively accessing the system through that, but I have Gnome running all the time on :0, mostly doing nothing but taking up space.

Mike:

I use Gnome, not Xvnc, on my desktop, and I'm by no means an expert, but my understanding is that Xvnc is an X server, and in general, U should only have one of those running. My guess is that Xvnc is your X server, and U're running IceWM as your window manager on :1. Probably, the X startup/login script (~/.xinitrc?) is launching Gnome (on the first available screen, perhaps?), and U need to remove or comment out those commands to conserve resources. U would also be able to run IceWM on :0 instead of :1.

Thanks, Phillip. On my system, it seems that /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc calls /etc/X11/Xsession and there is no ~/.xinitrc file.

Suppose I make it so that /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc doesn't start X11. I guess I would then see a console window after booting. Can I just run vncserver :1, say, from there, then run vncviewer from that console? It just seems like that would fail because I don't have a graphical interface. How can vncviewer run without a DISPLAY?

By the way, I have been running Xvnc on :1 for years without any failures (that's RealVNC Free). It ran once for something like 500 days on Solaris. It's really the same on Ubuntu -- no failures -- but I happen to have the machine in a place where the power sometimes goes out and that has limited me to only about 200 days of uninterrupted uptime.

Mike