Listen to what the Hungarian ambassador will likely be saying:

"Hungary's ambassador to the United States is coming to the Rock and Roll of Fame to explain his belief that when rock 'n' roll found its way into his country, it helped spark a yearning for freedom and an eventual end to a communist government."

Simonyi, 51, an economist, is convinced rock music was as key as any political or economic factor involved in the Hungary's change...

"Not only for me but also for other Hungarians of my generation, this became the stuff that really linked us to the free world," he said. "As I listened to this kind of music, I felt I was part of the free world myself."

In a nation where the governing party frowned upon rock music, Simonyi said he and his friends always found a way to gather collections. They would trade or borrow tapes and records smuggled into the country. They also would try to listen to Voice of America, Radio Free Europe and other foreign stations.

"I started out with the Beatles, but then I pretty much moved on," Simonyi said. "I embraced the really exciting and progressive part. I became a great Cream fan and Jimi Hendrix fan. There was one hero that I had, and this was Stevie Winwood, who established the group called Traffic."

Yes, this is the same rock and roll that many of the cultural conservatives told us was ruining Western civilization. Thanks to Mike Daly for the pointer.

--
Posted by Tyler Cowen to The Volokh Conspiracy at 11/7/2003 11:47:21 AM