2005 11:08:49 -0400:
Hi Steven,
[snip]
>> However If one takes into account relativistic increase
>> in the mass of the electron, then the maximum shrinkage
>> level is even less than 137. How much less depends on
>> which model one adopts.
>
>Seems to me that the increase in mass implies that these theoretically tiniest
>of all hydrino species should be heavier than their cousins, especially
>hydrogen at its traditionally accepted ground state.

Relativistic mass increase is really just another way of saying
kinetic energy. This energy has to come from somewhere. As the
hydrino shrinks, it comes from the electric field energy of the
electron relative to the proton. I can see no way in which this
wouldn't result in a mass reduction of at least one of the two
particles involved (electron proton or both).
In short particle rest mass is converted into kinetic energy, and
some is also lost externally (as energy made available to the
environment, see energy from hydrino shrinkage).
This means that the increase in relativistic mass of the electron
is not even enough to compensate for the loss in rest mass. In
short the hydrino as a whole gets lighter as it shrinks.

>Theoretically speaking, could the additional mass-weight of these exotic
>hydrinos (approaching the limit of 137) be measurable on a macro scale?

It is thus a mass loss rather than a gain, and would be very hard
to measure, as it is still only a very small proportion of the
overall mass (~0.027% at most).
[snip]
>It's my understanding that a "circuitous" description of hydrogen transformed
>to Hydrino, transformed to neutron, and ultimately transformed back to
>hydrogen scenario shouldn't occur precisely because of the endless extraction
>of energy that would result.

Well that's my opinion.

>Instead of this scenario you and other hydrino theorists have speculated that
>fusion may be the more likely fate precisely because these tiny critters have
>shrunk to such a small diameter that statistically their chances of
>interacting with other hydrino nuclei have been greatly improved.

Indeed. Because they are shielded by their own shrunken electron,
they can get much closer to another nucleus, which improves the
chances of tunneling dramatically.

>While I understand, statistically speaking, why fusion may be more likely what
>I still question would be the ramifications that the energy well would have
>constructed around individual hydrinos. How would these energy wells play (or
>not play as the case might be) into the theorized fusion mechanism. Wouldn't
>they act as a formidable barrier to fusion that would have to be overcome IN
>ADDITION TO the well-understood column barrier? I was wondering if this energy
>well might ultimately cancel out any fusion advantage hydrinos might possess
>as a result of their smaller diameters.

The loss of energy during hydrino formation would simply mean that
there would be slightly less energy available from any fusion
reaction than one would get from the fusion of a normal proton
with the same nucleus. The reduction in fusion energy would
exactly equal the amount of energy that one had already received
from the hydrino shrinkage, so overall, the results would be the
same. IOW hydrinos simply make fusion easier, they don't yield any
more, or any less, energy over all.

Furthermore, the energy freed during hydrino formation is still
quite small relative to the amount released during the fusion
reaction.

i.e. the maximum release during hydrino formation is 255 keV.
The release from an average fusion reaction involving a proton is
about 5000 keV, which is about 20 times more. Note however that
this assumes that the hydrino is maximally shrunken before the
fusion reaction takes place. In practice, it may happen much
sooner than that, after e.g. release of only 3 keV, resulting in
the fusion energy being about 1000 times larger than the hydrino
release energy. This means that the energy loss during shrinkage
will have very little effect on the fusion energy, and not be such
as to hinder the fusion event to any appreciable extent. OTOH, the
reduction in size brings about an incredible increase in the
chance of fusion taking place (by many orders of magnitude).
To give you a feel for how enormous this is, consider the
following.

Calculations show that the average time between fusion events for
the D atoms in D2 is at least 1E80 years. When a negative muon is
used to catalyze the reaction however, the distance between the
nuclei shrinks by a factor of about 207. The time needed drops to
about 1E-23 seconds. IOW a size reduction by 207 yields a time
reduction by 110 orders of magnitude (i.e. 3E110).

Regards,

Robin van Spaandonk

All SPAM goes in the trash unread.