Axil--

That may be nice but it is probably a tall order to get the coating you
suggest--SiC/graphite to bond well to the alumina over the entire outer surface
and not crack with thermal cycling.  I would think the distribution of H within
the Alumina could be accomplished better with a slow release of H as one would
have with LiH or AlLiH4.  The controlled heating of the AlLiH4 could be
accomplished with the heating coils.  I would think a better seal would be a
thin stainless steel or other high temperature ductile metal outer barrier to
contain the H, if that is desired.

The real advantage of the graphite outer shell in the pebble reactor (which is
not new) was to act as a neutron moderator as well as a long lived barrier to
corrosion and loss of fission products in the long-term management of the
depleted fuel.  As I recall the old pebble reactors were to be cooled with He
gas.  The "pebbles" were small spherical fuel cells whose diameter was
established to limit the internal temperature of the fuel at full power.

The item you reference discusses SiC and C/C fibers for structural strength at
high temperatures, NOT SEALING FOR H.

The conceptual design proposed in the reference is just "pie in the sky"
IMHO--not unlike the hot fusion concepts that have soaked up $B's over the
years and have not worked yet.  I think the fast reactor ideas are non-sense.
The item you reference sounds like an add for research at Oak Ridge into
materials that can withstand high energy particle damage like one may get at
CERN.

Thankfully, the LENR coming revolution with put all this "stuff" to bed,
although way too slowly.

In summary, your TRISO LENR reactor would not compete with Rossi's drug store
variety IMO.

Bob