Bob, I don't know if anyone responded to this.  I have been busy and I am
not going back through emails to catch up.

One thing to notice is that stainless steel, particularly thin stainless
steel should not be used above 800C with pressurized hydrogen.  At 400C,
stainless is OK, but by 800C the hydrogen permeation of stainless goes up
by many orders of magnitude and it keeps going up exponentially at
temperatures above this.  So at the high temperature of that ad hoc dogbone
experiment, I believe the hydrogen just leaked out through the stainless.
The alumina tube inside was not sealed and so the full pressure generated
from the thermal decomposition of the LiAlH4 was applied to the stainless
tube.

Bob Higgins