>From the pictures I saw, Parkhomov changed to use a separate tube for the
heater.  If nichrome does make a difference, it would have to be against
the alumina reactor tube.  So, if you use the heater tube, it wouldn't make
any difference if it was kanthal or nichrome - the H2 would leak out of the
gap between.

I think it less likely that having the heater wire in proximity to the main
reactor tube makes or if it is nichrome makes any difference.  The inside
of the tube is coated with Li-Al-Ni alloy that would fill any porosity in
the alumina.  Examining the alumina shards from the MFMP Bang! experiment,
I saw no evidence of penetration or erosion of the alumina tube.

For more likely is that the experiment could have been a success, as MFMP's
experiment could have been a success.  In Parkhomov's new design, there is
increased insulation around the reactor tube (the air gap,the second
alumina tube with the heater coil, and the additional alumina cement around
the coil).  Only this time, the heater wire is on the outside of the
insulation.  If he heats the reactor tube to where XH occurs, the
temperature may quickly rise out of control and cause the reactor tube to
break open.  This is due to the increased thermal resistance to ambient or
to the calorimeter water.  When the heater is turned off, he still has all
of that alumina wrapped around the reactor tube.  In previous experiments
when Parkhomov insulated the reactor in alumina powder, it caused the
reactor tubes to break.