Yes, this is why I was worried about Alexander's new design that puts an
air gap and another ceramic around the reactor core - increasing its
thermal resistance to the lower temperature air around it and/or the water
in the calorimeter.  He already showed that if he put alumina powder
insulating the reactor (to lower the input power to get it high temp) that
it failed catastrophically.

I am working on a large water volume calorimeter in which to test my
Parkhomov-like reactors.  It will include a variable convection fan to
change the thermal resistance between the reactor tube and the cool water
in the surrounds.  This convection will only be activated if the heater
coil power is turned off and the temperature of the reactor continues to
rise.  The intent in this design is for the water to never reach boiling.
Also, the calorimeter will be a good shield for any explosive shrapnel
(primarily alumina shards).  The calorimeter also provides a port to
measure radiations with low mass density between the reactor core and the
sensor. Here are 2 links to diagrams of the calorimeter I am building:

   https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B5Pc25a4cOM2R1RYemRlTEdZSEE&authuser=0

   https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B5Pc25a4cOM2dWh5VXJFSU1uT1U&authuser=0

Here is the link to my planned ZDV plumbing that will allow me to measure
the pressure, sample the gas product, and vent the system before opening
the reactor post-experiment.

   https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B5Pc25a4cOM2WU9MR3hyQ2NIWkE&authuser=0

As Bob Greenyer likes to do, he has dubbed this system in ASCII as
"{Garbage Can}".

Bob