On May 27 the following post was placed out on NewVortex by Abd ul-Rahman Lomax
concerning the Parkhomov controversy. Again, as one comes to expect from
previous Lomax contributions his analysis is obsessively long, highly detailed
in all of its fiddle-de-bits, and definitely worth reading. Few stones remain
unturned when Lomax becomes interested in parsing out a perplexing controversy.
I wish Mr. Beaty could see it within his internal compass to reinstate Abd to
Vortex. As always Lomax continues to be a valuable and respected contributor to
the CF community.

See Yahoo NewVortex:

Regards,

Steven Vincent Johnson

svjart.orionworks.com

zazzle.com/orionworks

Date: May 27, 2015

I've spent some time looking at the Parkhomov data scandal; it's being said
that the fabrication made no sense. As usual, that claim makes no sense. Almost
everything makes some kind of sense once it's understood.

Here are some links:

https://www.mail-archive.com/vortex-l@eskimo.com/msg102900.html

https://www.mail-archive.com/vortex-l@eskimo.com/msg102914.html

Parkhomov appears to have disclosed what he did, April 29, in a mail posted on
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/ECat.LENR/1135996836416219/

The earliest mention I've found of the problem was in an e-catworld.com post,
April 4, which showed one of the data artifacts. Some are congratulating
Parkhomov for admitting what he did, but, in fact, he stonewalled, apparently
being asked repeatedly *by supporters* to explain this. If I recall correctly,
it's claimed he was asked at ICCF-19 about the issue, and simply did not
respond.

This is especially poignant because Parkhomov was touted for his openness, his
lack of secrets, but that was an illusion, and I knew it, because I'd
discovered many issues with Parkhomov's data, and went to him with questions,
which he politely declined to answer. I

assumed he was merely busy. But many of those questions have never been
answered, and as Parkhomov kept publishing more reports, the mysteries
multiplied.

So why did Parkhomov doctor the data? It seems stupid, since it's just a
section of data with apparently constant temperature, albeit a bit noisy. It
would seem that he gained nothing but trashing his own reputation.

However, he still has not told the whole story. Reading his explanation, at
first I didn't understand it, because it seemed crazy. He doesn't say *why* he
filled in the data. He tells us why the data was missing, but he doesn't
explain why that happened. It was not some accident, if I read this right.

This is my speculation as to the sequence.

Parkhomov is running a reactor that contains a winding that is energized with
up to 600 watts or so of AC power. It's a winding over a material that could
change its dielectric constant as the chemical reaction happens inside. Then
there is a thermocouple in close proximity to this coil. This is going to
induce substantial AC noise in that thermocouple circuit. It might even be
enough to blow out the computer interface, but absent a short, probably not.

Still, the noise made the thermocouple unreadable. To reduce the noise,
Parkhomov disconnected the computer from AC line power, so it would float. So
the computer was running on battery, and the battery needed to be periodically
recharged. Hence the gaps in the data. He could not just plug it in.

I can think of no other explanation of why he would run the computer on battery
power.

But he has not told us why he did that. To do so would expose how shoddy the
work is. It would, incidentally, reveal a possible source of artifact (AC
noise).

He did not want to show the blank data periods because it would raise these
questions, so he filled them in, hoping nobody would notice. He did it in a
shoddy way; he *could have* made this invisible, easily, and then, as he did
before, (with the original work) not release the raw data.

It was deliberately deceptive. Not as to the results, but as to the quality of
his work. It was "quick and dirty," which is simply what it was. Parkhomov did
this on his own, with presumably his own money, just on a hunch that it might
work.

As a scientist, he knew what was right to do: don't publish, or publish what
you have, warts and all. Instead, he cleaned it up, to make it look better. And
he is still avoiding the question, perhaps hoping, still, that nobody will ask
about why he was using a computer on battery power.

This is open science, with hundreds or thousands of people looking at it. You
can actually fool almost all these people, sometimes. Few will study in detail,
but that's all it takes: one, and then someone else to look and say, OMG! He
didn't make that up!

Meanwhile the claque continues treating all criticism as if it were
pseuodoskeptical.

No. We actually want to know what happened, and Parkhomov still is withholding
much.

Consider this little conundrum: the temperature during that period is
supposedly held constant by thermostatic control. Thermostatic control works by
comparing the temperature to a set value, and increasing heat if the
temperature is below the set value, or decreasing it if the temperature is
above that value.

So if the temperature measurement is shut down in those periods, how is the
heating being controlled to hold temperature constant?

In addition, the power data has not been plotted as-is. It's been averaged in
some way, not disclosed, apparently. I don't have that spreadsheet data, but a
plot from it is a solid mass of black, because the power is varying widely,
indicating that Parkhomov is using primitive on/off temperature control, which
then makes it difficult to see what is going on. I've been writing about it
since he started using thermostatic control. In my view, that was a mistake.
Rather, set power and let the device settle. Very simple to plot and to
understand.

He wants to use thermostatic control because he thinks the device is
overheating and burning out because of a runaway reaction. No. All his burnouts
before occurred after he increased the power. The temperature sometimes
increased a bit with apparently constant power, but only a little.

Parkhomov is using approaches that do not generate data that can be easily and
clearly interpreted. He is not exploring the behavior of the system he made,
not in any systematic way.

The same report as had the data fabrication also has a calibration, supposedly,
a comparison of a no-fuel reactior with a fueled one. The fueled reactor gets
much hotter, starting when the temperature reaches about 700 C. It's a smooth
increase, a widening gap, after that, up to about 1100 C where, then, there is
this striking decline in input power with constant temperature, it cuts about
in half.

So what's odd: the XP setting in at 700 C or so. That's not the prior reported
behavior. As well, the declining power input was in steps. Very unlikely that
the reaction would increase in steps like that, it would smoothly increase.
Further, there is very substantial noise in

the power around transitions. What's happening?

No clue.

So what could be happening? I don't see enough data to have a strong opinion.
There might be some XP. However, there might also be a problem with
thermocouples giving bad readings. It happens. And a thermocouple sitting in a
magnetic field, from the coil with substantial current, with a lot of AC noise,
just not surprising if something is off. The no-fuel reactor, having no metal
inside, will behave differently from the fueled reactor. It will have different
heat conduction characteristics, and different electromagnetic characteristics.

Sloppy work. And the purpose of the data fraud was to avoid making the
sloppiness visible, to avoid inconvenient questions. Same reason for
stonewalling for over three weeks.

Parkhomov's general approach is of high interest, but the focus should be on
original investigation. Replicating Parkhomov is replicating what? His results
have been changing from publication to publication, so no body of experience
has been built up, where we

know what to expect from the setup. It's all new.

This phenomenon of decreasing power with constant temperature is entirely new,
and contradictory, apparently, to what was seen before. That is, if power were
being generated, the temperature would have risen substantially without an
increase in input power.