Jed, the logic you provide is that because government has initiated or
built large projects they have subsidized Alfred Nobel's invention of
dynamite. That is a logic used by the communist. Communism has some point
in theory. Practically it does not work and the reason is that personal
freedom is very important.
People have taken enormous risk and discomfort for their personal freedom.
This whole nation is based on peoples lack of freedom in Europe. Religious,
academic or enterprise freedom are just branches of the same tree.

My point is that those inventors i mentioned and many more i know less
about, had freedom to do inventions and reap the benefit. Accountability
was a  cornerstone for them. It is required today also.
​ It has been many inventors less fortunate than the examples I gave you.
They had to face the consequences of their failure.​

The problem with large piles of resources
​ (money)​
owned by us all, is that nobody feels responsible. To skim government funds
is ok. It often is justified with 'it does not hurt anybody'. What they
mean is that it does not impact anybody direct and the state is so
anynomous that nobody cares. Lack of personal freedom
​and accountability ​
does create corruption.

Your other statements about how government has provided has some merit. The
reason is mostly that a leader in the government has seen a need and then
have been strong enough to push that idea to fruition.
Unfortunately some copycat with a
​ ​
personal agenda uses a good thing
​as an example ​
to justify government taking on more and more. That has never worked and it
will backfire. I have
​ ​
seen it first hand. Swed
​e​
n went through a period of ever increasing governmental involvement. The
total result was bad. In some fields it succeeded. It ended
​
with
​ ​
a big time correction in the 90s.

​I think you make the mistake of identifying the government​ as a person.
It is not. In management literature there is a say 'organizations cannot
make result people can'.