Forget about patents.
They are as obsolete as the pony-express.
I have been involved on both sides. The winner is always the one with
better financial support. In a few cases persistence has paid off.
As an example a company has requested a patent for push button making two
separate events start independently of each other. It should have been
denied as just basic engineering. However, making claims of using special
materials probably fooled the examiner at USPTO. I was sued for
infringement. It cost $50,000 just to show it was invalid. Yes, I
understand that one could have read the patent application and protested so
the patent never  became a reality, if one has the time to read all new
applications. The only guys who won was the attorneys. They probably
collected a couple of hundred thousand dollars. The patent still is valid.
I could not afford to invalidate it. It was enough to just get out of the
lawsuit. Hoyt I think your example is good enough to show the opposite
situation. I assume AR has better financial backing than Piantelli. Then
the outcome is given and you now who will benefit.
Trade secrets are way better protection than patent and they are cheaper

Best Regards ,
Lennart Thornros

www.StrategicLeadershipSac.com
lenn...@thornros.com
+1 916 436 1899
202 Granite Park Court, Lincoln CA 95648

“Productivity is never an accident. It is always the result of a commitment
to excellence, intelligent planning, and focused effort.” PJM