You have to be very careful of your formulations and observations when
using Fe2O3 in this chemical system.  Both the unoxidized Al and Li will
form a thermite reaction with the Fe2O3 which is very energetic.  The Li
thermite reaction will probably ignite first when the LiAlH4 decomposes to
LiH and liquifies.  If the Fe2O3 is finely divided, the reaction can
proceed very quickly and can melt even the alumina at over 2000C.  If you
have electrical coils inside with the fuel, as the system heats up, a hot
spot in the wire (maybe from corrosion) can ignite the thermite reaction.

I think this is why Rossi used such large particles of Fe2O3 in his
reactor.  Apparently he wanted this as a catalyst, but if the particles
were just too small it made a rapid thermite reaction and burned up his
reactor.

Bob