On Fri, Oct 30, 2015 at 8:36 AM, Bob Cook <frobertc...@hotmail.com> wrote:

This item suggests that the fine constant varies with time.  It may be that
> relativistic conditions and time contraction cause small changes in the
> constant effective for any coherent system.

If the fine structure constant is eventually found to vary in time, perhaps
the first order in the variation goes back to a single component.  Here are
different versions of the fine structure constant:

[image: Inline image 1]

Here is a breakdown of the components from Wikipedia (translated to ascii
for those with old email clients):

e is the elementary charge;
h_bar = h/2π is the reduced Planck constant;
c is the speed of light in vacuum;
e0 is the electric constant or permittivity of free space;
u0 is the magnetic constant or permeability of free space;
ke is the Coulomb constant;
RK is the von Klitzing constant.

I've long wondered whether the speed of light might not be constant.  I see
that what the study reported were limits on the possible variation,
although the abstract said that their limits were consistent with a
variation.

Eric