Lennart Thornros <lenn...@thornros.com> wrote:

The fact as you call it is; scientists has made a lot of progress since the
> renaissance and you want the government to have the credit for that.

Yes, because the government paid for it. Also organized it. The scientists
could not have done what they did without the government.

If I build a factory and I hire people to work in it, I get some of the
credit for what they do, even though they do the actual work.

I definitely think the State of Utah deserves some credit for cold fusion,
since it employed Pons and provided the lab space for the experiments. F&P
could not have done it without a paycheck and lab equipment.

Bardeen, Brattain and Shockley deserved the Nobel prize, but we also have
to thank the management at Bell Labs for hiring them, paying their
salaries, providing lab space, secretarial help, etc. I am sure the
secretaries and the other support staff did a lot essential work to enable
the discovery. Everyone at Bell Labs deserved a small share of the credit.

Governments pay for most fundamental research. Corporations do not
contribute much, because it does not often pay back directly. Of course
corporations have made important contributions, such as integrated circuits
invented at Texas Instruments. Following that invention, rapid progress was
made mainly thanks to NASA and Defense Dept., which ordered many ICs and
paid for additional R&D.

Most real-time computer technology such as core memory, the CPU designs,
and so on, were invented at MIT in Project Whirlwind (1946 - 1953). Just
about every future important hardware designer participated at one time or
another. It was the training ground for the whole generation of people who
went on to invent modern computing. "Whirlwind alumni/ae have founded
countless companies and have made numerous innovations in technology and
software." (http://museum.mit.edu/150/21)

That was entirely paid for by the U.S. Air Force.

In the 1960s, IBM and other corporations took the lead in computer R&D. The
Air Force had to lead in the early 1950s because the research was not
profitable yet. It was more theoretical. It was vitally important to the
military, but not yet profitable.