Alan has a full set of gamma check sources.  Initial calibration was done
with 137Cs.  The energy scale drifted over time with heating from the
reactor.  The background always showed the 78keV x-ray and 1461 40K
background peaks.  I re-calibrated the energy scale on every file,
resampled each to 1keV/bin, and insured that the resampled file was
adjusted to have the same photometric counts.  Once that was done I could
subtract my calibrated background.

We have since run another calibration with the equipment still in place.
We setup to simultaneously capture spectra files with the NaI scintillator
- spectrometer, and also with the GMC-320+ GM counter he had alongside the
reactor.  He placed the check sources 1 by 1 on top of the reactor tube and
captured the response to each.  These sources were used:  54Mn, 133Ba,
57Co, 109Cd, and 137Cs.

There is the capability to capture the time series of counts out the back
of the spectrometer, but Alan did not have anything to capture it.  We will
get that setup for next time.  He also didn't know that the software had
provision for automated successive integrations and captures.  Now I have
told him, and that won't be manual and irregular next time.

The background was quite constant - the radon was either a minor factor or
was essentially constant over the course of the integrations.  Finlay McNab
wrote me and asked about possible cosmic ray shower.  It would be good to
have another detector placed away from the reaction, but I think that was
covered and here is what I told him about why I don't think it was a cosmic
ray shower:

"The NaI detector was in a cave of lead bricks 3" thick.  At 500keV, only
1ppm of incident cosmic ray energy will penetrate.  By 1MeV, 0.2% will
penetrate.  So when high energy cosmic rays hit the lead cave, some will
penetrate and when they interact with the lead, and the 78keV
characteristic x-ray will be generated.  However, this will not go very far
in the lead.  The very high energy cosmic rays that penetrate almost all
the way through the lead and excite the 78keV x-ray near the inside surface
will be picked up in the NaI detector - and we see this.  What we see is
that this 78keV peak and the rest of the background stayed photometrically
stable.  When we subtract the reference background from other traces with
no signal, we just get zero mean noise.  If the cosmic rays had peaked, it
would have peaked the 78keV signal and this would no longer have subtracted
out.  We see a clean subtraction in our Spectrum-07 with no evidence of the
78keV peak, so it is reasonable to conclude that the cosmic rays did not
have a sudden shower."

I don't think trying to measure the radon daughters is worthwhile.  They
would have to be checked with a beta detector anyway, not with the NaI
because there is little or no gamma from radon decay as I understand it.

Bob