Jones, the moral of the story is that the large amount of lead (and it
probably took a whole lot for the HPGe detector) converted some of the
cosmic rays into a small *neutron* flux.  MFMP did not measure neutrons.
The Lugano evaluation only made intermittent spot checks for neutrons -
they found an increase near the reactor and they had no lead.

People who are making sensitive gamma reading use lead - a lot of it
generally.  I am building an enhanced cave that has a thick outer layer of
lead, and inner layers of Fe, boric acid, and Al before the NaI detector.
This should help remove spallated neutrons, and the characteristic x-rays
from lead.

So, Russ, how did you solve that problem?  Did you erect a neutron shield
between the lead and the neutron detector?