>From Jiang's paper (courtesy Bob Higgins translation):

"How could T1 and T2 temperatures differ by so much? This is because
thermocouple T1 is in
the atmosphere, and is easily equilibrated to room temperature. T2 is
located in a sealed stainless
steel vessel, and the gas inside the vessel is at a very low pressure,
near vacuum, having better
insulating properties like a thermos."

Jiang wrote this to explain the temperature difference during the
phase labeled 'self-sustaining' in the first run,
but I think it also explains the temperature difference during the
phase labeled 'excess heat' when the power was on.
T2 is hotter in the 'on' phase because it is located in a vessel where
heat can't escape to the air by convection. Therefore, the reactor
is not generating heat at this time so it would be incorrect to call
this 'excess heat'.

The 'self-sustaining' phase that follows represents the release of
energy which was being stored while the power was on.
When the power is on I would call this the charging phase. The large
fluctuations in T2 during the charging phase indicate the storage
process is volatile. (All this assumes T2 is reliable throughout the run.)

Harry