From: Jack Cole

Mike McCulloch has come up with a way to test his MiHsC theory, which he has
applied to the EM Drive.  I have some skepticism about the EM Drive based on
some negative reports that I have read, but more testing is needed.  Anyway, at
least McCulloch has developed an idea for an experiment that would falsify his
theory and would be an amazingly simple drive system for spacecraft if it
works.  He proposes using a simple loop of fiber optic cable with a metal
barrier on one side to dampen Unruh waves.

 <http://physicsfromtheedge.blogspot.com/2016/07/lemdrive.html>
http://physicsfromtheedge.blogspot.com/2016/07/lemdrive.html

Jack,

There are possible problems with this approach which should be mentioned. One
problem was coincidentally mentioned here a couple of days ago – the “preferred
frame” (and aether). I did not comment on this when it was posted, since it
opens up a Pandora’s box. The other problem is that light in a fiber optics
cable travels about 30% slower than lightspeed (however, specialty optics could
become available soon, to mollify that problem).

A preferred frame is inherent in any definition of “aether” and its existence
applies to the EM drive measurement - in the form of a number of baseline
assumptions depending on how it is to be measured. Wiki has an incomplete entry
on the Michelson/Morley experiment which is said to invalidate aether, but in
fact did no such thing. When the experiment was repeated using lasers, 100
years later (Silvertooth) – aether was found, roughly as had been predicted. A
few modern observers have offered lame excuses to keep M&M in place, but the
issue is not yet closed, and consequently we should NOT assume the absence of
aether.

 <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_loyzL9Wi4>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_loyzL9Wi4

In short, in theories that presume that light travels at a fixed speed relative
to a detectable aether, the  “preferred frame” would be where aether appears
stationary and we must include the local vectors. But if light was travelling
slower in a cable, you compound the problem and might believe there was
acceleration where it doesn’t exist, or if aether does not exist we have the
inverse problem. Amazingly, the majority of fizzicysts still quote the M&M
mistake as if it meant something today - and blindly ignore the implications of
real aether and a preferred frame, on measurements of this kind.