YES!  That is the article which prompted my starting this thread!!!!!!!!!

You all should read it!  Apparently Axil eventually did…

It seems to describes just the kind of energy transfer into the lattice instead
of ejecting high-E particles, BUT ONLY AT A VERY SPECIFIC/NARROW energy level.
I.e., one could easily ‘fly’ right past it and never know this ‘mode’ of
e-transfer is there.

I believe the energy level required for this transfer was ~75meV, but someone
more knowledgeable about atomic physics should verify… I believe the refereed
paper is a free download.

Next time I submit a link, read the article since its more important than
anything I have to say…

Merry Xmas All,

-mark iverson