From: Eric Walker [mailto:eric.wal...@gmail.com]
Sent: Thursday, January 5, 2017 8:55 PM
To: vortex-l@eskimo.com
Subject: Re: [Vo]:The dark side of dense hydrogen

On Thu, Jan 5, 2017 at 8:24 PM, Bob Higgins <rj.bob.higg...@gmail.com
<mailto:rj.bob.higg...@gmail.com> > wrote:

There is a more far fetched possibility - that of communications via
gravitational waves.  There have been a number of papers talking about the
conversion of EM waves into gravitational waves in certain types of
superconductors.  If that ever proves to be possible, it would open a whole new
spectrum - one that could harbor SETI communications.

Because gravity appears to have infinite range, assuming there are gravitons,
they are expected to be massless.  This means they will travel at the speed of
light.  From this PhysicsForums post [1], I infer that for masses under human
control which would serve as the source of the gravitons, they will have very
large wavelengths.  Is there a way to send lots of information over a signal
with a very low frequency?

Gravitons aside, if the alien signal is spread across a spectrum, as you
mention, I suppose it might be very difficult to detect.  If the transmitted
signal further involves intentionally taking the background noise and making
small adjustments to it, you would probably have to be looking for this kind of
pattern specifically to determine that there was a signal at all.

Eric

[1]
https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/graviton-energy-and-frequency-wavelength.242145/#post-1780881