The Rothwellian theme (available on Kindle) which on closer examination perhaps is pre-Orwellian, can be called "the democratization of energy" ... but to the contrarian, it would explain an arcane detail which is troubling on several levels. ET can't call home.

First I will give Jed a plug. This download to Kindle could be the best buck you spend this year, even if you do not appreciate my contrarian response to it:

https://www.amazon.com/Cold-Fusion-Future-Jed-Rothwell-ebook/dp/B001RTSHZS/

OK. That arcane detail, which is explained by a contrarian take on free-energy advances, would be the present lack of communication with advanced civilizations on other planets - ala SETI and the Drake equation. ET is quiet. Most experts who use their best guesses to fill in the blanks on the Drake equation...

http://www.space.com/25219-drake-equation.html

... estimate that there should be many advanced civilizations in the Universe, a few of whom are close enough that we should be able to communicate with them or at least catch glimpses of their broadcast signals. Except ... that is, for the last term in the Drake equation ( L = The length of time such civilizations release detectable signals into space). This is the troubling part. Maybe advancing science invariable hits a plateau where it always... or almost always ... self-destructs. Maybe every civilization that discovers LENR succumbs to the dark side.

Which is to day: there is a fair chance that LENR, instead of being the savior of the planet - is instead, the kiss of death. One a civilization acquires LERN and massive power (of the kiloton variety) is put into the hands of every nut-case with a cause - civilization, as we know it collapses!

Let's face it, the average human is stupid and short sighted. IQ 100 is above ape level, but not far enough above. Religions can and do prey on that stupidity to convert an army of true believers into Martyrs for the cause. Give a potential martyr control of the equivalent of a kiloton of explosives and humanity is doomed. "Planet of the Apes" here we come. There is simply no way to control free-energy in the hands of fanatics.

OK - good time to announce that the bit of ultimate cynicism (expressed above) started out only as gallows humor of sorts - a counterpoint to the wild idealism which we see expressed in many advocates of LENR. Yet the more you think about it, the more you cannot write it off.

There is an arguable case for the proposition that "the democratization of energy" - putting real power into the hands of the average human - is actually the death knell of human progress.

Jed Rothwell wrote:

Eric Walker wrote:

    In addition to the possibilities that have been mentioned, there
    is another that comes to mind should at some point LENR be
    harnessed as a practical source of energy. Consider small, quiet
    drones the size of hummingbirds, which are able to linger in an
    area for months on end.  With such devices a state player could
    quietly assassinate anyone who was not deep in some bunker.

Yes. I described this in chapter 11 of my book. Along with several other nasty weapons. I heard about these things from people in the military such as Adm. Griffin. Military experts are well aware of how cold fusion might be used to enhance conventional weapons.

New energy sources have played a key role in military technology since 1600, especially in naval warfare after 1800. Ironclad ships (and later steel ships) and big guns would not be possible without steam engines. Sailing ships would never be able to support them. Steam power had to come first.