Harry Veeder wrote:

I doubt the Empire State Building would have collapsed if a jet liner
crashed into it.

The Pentagon was built around the same time as the Empire State Building, using similar materials and techniques. It shattered when the airplane smashed into it.

I believe experts have said the Empire State Building would have fallen sooner and more catastrophically than the Twin Towers did.

The Empire State Building was struck by an airplane in 1945, but it was a B-25 bomber, which was far smaller than today's commercial jetliners.