A massive fire broke out this evening under an elevated portion Atlanta's
main interstate highway, I-85. The intense heat weakened and then brought
down a segment of the highway. I suppose the mechanism was similar to the
destruction of the World Trade Center towers. The Atlanta newspaper account
is here:

http://www.ajc.com/news/traffic/breaking-bridge-collapses-during-massive-fire-injuries-reported/FRzANVZ9vgyWW2WZfyN6jI/

This will paralyze city traffic for months. The public schools downtown may
close tomorrow.

I bring this up here because preliminary indications are that the fire was
caused by a fuel pipeline leak. In other words, this is yet another example
of how dangerous chemical fuel can be. We are so used to the danger, we are
blind to it. Despite high standards and rigorous safeguards, there are
fires every day in every city caused by gasoline or leaking natural gas.

Cold fusion would put an end to this sort of thing. It would also end the
much greater dangers from global warming.

One other issue about fossil fuel that has not even been addressed is the
oxygen deficit caused by the use of it. I read a short article about this
in a science magazine (Sci. Am.?).