Jed Rothwell wrote:

In other surrealistic Atlanta energy related news, someone caused an evacuation today by claiming he had "red mercury." I kid you not. See:

http://www.ajc.com/news/local/just-downtown-streets-closed-amid-red-mercury-investigation/9xfH610HG8kqOlvNT6N3EP/

This is surrel, if not worrisome, but can probably be explained as a scam involving cinnabar... which is toxic... or else someone not playing with a full deck missing the date of April Fool Day by a fair margin.Cinnabar is a red ore of mercury and much of it does come from Africa - in contrast to the mythical red mercury (of ST Cohen) which is purportedly used to trigger a bombe (best Clouseau accent). Wiki has an entry.

Has there been an update on this story with more info as to the perp? I'm sure Terry is following it closely... adds new meaning to the nickname "Hotlanta".