https://arxiv.org/pdf/1411.6822

Exciton-polariton condensates

Tim Byrnes,1 Na Young Kim,2 and Yoshihisa Yamamoto1, 2
1National Institute of Informatics, 2-1-2 Hitotsubashi, Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo
101-8430, Japan
2E. L. Ginzton Laboratory, Stanford University, Stanford, CA 94305
(Dated: November 26, 2014)

Recently a new type of system exhibiting spontaneous coherence has emerged
{ the excitonpolariton
condensate. Exciton-polaritons (or polaritons for short) are bosonic
quasiparticles that
exist inside semiconductor microcavities, consisting of a superposition of
an exciton and a cavity
photon. Above a threshold density the polaritons macroscopically occupy the
same quantum state,
forming a condensate. The lifetime of the polaritons are typically
comparable to or shorter than
thermalization times, making them possess an inherently non-equilibrium
nature. Nevertheless,
they display many of the features that would be expected of equilibrium
Bose-Einstein condensates
(BECs). The non-equilibrium nature of the system raises fundamental
questions of what it means
for a system to be a BEC, and introduces new physics beyond that seen in
other macroscopically
coherent systems. In this review we focus upon several physical phenomena
exhibited by excitonpolariton
condensates. In particular we examine topics such as the di erence between
a polariton
BEC, a polariton laser, and a photon laser, as well as physical phenomena
such as super
uidity,
vortex formation, BKT (Berezinskii-Kosterlitz-Thouless) and BCS
(Bardeen-Cooper-Schrie er)
physics. We also discuss the physics and applications of engineered
polariton structures.