Anyway, probably sound is the best and cheapest mean to transfer the info
on such a short distance (is the distance an open space or are there
buildings?). It would be easy to create a device that can separate sound
based on frequency or loudness (Arduino hooked to a microphone). If it is
only a bit it needs to identify low frequency from high frequency and you
got your 0 and 1.