Hi,
[snip]

>What's your goal? Is it to demonstrate how simple or clever such a thing could
>be or do you have a practical result in mind? Do you want this to operate as a
>remote switch or merely to show a record of the bit transfer on the receiving
>end?

My goal is a mailbox flag. Unfortunately they aren't used in Australia, and I
can't rely on the mail delivery person to
trip the flag for me when mail is delivered. My mailbox has a slot, and doesn't
need to be opened to deliver mail.
Therefore I need an electronic device that detects when the mail has been
delivered and sends a message detectable in
the house.

I have already designed the detector for the mailbox itself, but the
transmission is proving more thought provoking.
Ideally it would result in a pop-up message on my PC. The internal part isn't a
problem, as long as I can detect a
signal.

Sound might work, but I am working with only about 3V and maybe 30 mA at the
mailbox (or 1.2V & as much current as a AAA
cell will provide), so would need to design a sound generator that ran on that
but still produced a sound burst strong
enough to be picked up at the house, thus probably directed and focused. It
also has to be weather-proof, which a normal
loudspeaker wouldn't be.

The 3 V is a consequence of re-using a "lawn-light" for the power supply in the
mailbox. I get plenty of sunlight, and
mail only rarely, so solar is a good solution for the power supply.

I also have a wireless doorbell, so will see if that has enough range. If so, I
could probably modify one to do the job.

There are electronic "mail detectors" for sale, but most of them rely on the
mailbox being opened to generate a signal.
In theory I could modify one, but can't tell how easy/difficult that would be
without first buying one.

I did consider simply lighting a LED that could be seen from the house, but
that's too difficult to see in bright
sunlight, at that distance. (My mail gets delivered in the morning.)

Regards,

Robin van Spaandonk <mixent...@aussiebroadband.com.au>