Hi,

They probably normally use rare-earth magnets ( these are very strong magnets )
for the rotor so that they don't need an
electrical connection to the rotor which would in turn normally require the use
of slip rings.
By using this device they can now use a self-excited generator, thus avoiding
the need for rare-earth magnets.

>In which case, I find this comment in the article quite puzzling:
>
>*The technology is called Twistact, and it will eliminate the need for
>expensive rare-earth magnets in large wind turbines.*

Cloud storage:-

Unsafe, Slow, Expensive

...pick any three.