On 15/8/2007 6:50 AM, Nick Palmer wrote:

> Thomas malloy wrote ( about junkscience.com):-
>
> <<Steve is offering $100,000 to
> anyone who can prove that anthropogenic global warming is real, and that
> it's deleterious consequences outweigh the benefits. Since it's
> impossible to prove either one, the prize is of no consequence.>>
>
> What just about everybody seems to miss on both sides of the argument, both
> global warming deniers and climate change scientists alike, is that the REAL
> idea that needs ramming down people's throats is that those who think things
> will be OK, that global warming is not a threat, have to absolutely PROVE
> it - it is not necessary for the Green lobby and the climate change
> scientists to have to prove that climate change definitely will occur due to
> man's fossil fuel emissions, they only have to establish that it probably
> will (which has been done). Everybody seems take it as read that the whole
> argument is down to the scientists and their varying opposed opinions. There
> is something beyond, and even greater, than what passes as scientific
> opinion these days - this something is raw logic and where we have a
> situation with an uncertain outcome, where we do not have enough knowledge
> or experience to be able to definitely predict what will happen, and the
> analysis of the situation suggests that there is a possibility of disrupting
> a stable climate with enormous long term consequences for humans and all the
> other life on Earth, then that chance MUST NOT be taken. It is up to the
> deniers to PROVE that there is no such danger (which is impossible) - the
> junkscience.com challenge is a ghastly perversion of wise thinking.
>
> Nick Palmer

Another way to view the evidence is from a legal perspective.
Contrast the charge of global warming in a criminal court
with the charge in a civil court.

In a criminal court you would have to prove beyond a shadow of a doubt
that mankind is guilty. In a civil court it is sufficient to establish
guilt by the weight of the evidence.

Harry