Robin sez:

> I think that there is little point in being in space just for it's own sake.
> The
> only real reason to go into space is to go to other planets. If one doesn't
> have
> the technology to do that, then there isn't much point.

I've run across this opinion many times in my life. When I was a tad
younger the opinion used to incense me to no end. I used to equate
those who were of the opinion that that there is little point in being
in space (just for its own sake) as being positively medieval in
nature. I suspect I used to equate it with the erroneous assumption
that most of these people weren't really interested in advancing
technology for the benefit of all. I used to assume that most of these
people were anti-technologist - Ludites. Meanwhile, all I could see
was the population on our planet increasing, getting completely out of
control to the point that we would not be able to take care of
everyone in a humane manner. Well, actually that's the case now, and
has been for quite some time, but I wasn't interested in nudging us
any closer to Soylent Green.

As I've gotten a little older I'd like to believe I've become a tad
more tolerant of the opinions of others. In this regard I suspect
there will be plenty of room for both perceptions to take root.

Those who see little point in exploring outer space for its own sake
will most likely stay close to mother Earth and tend their gardens.

Meanwhile, those who see a point in exploring outer space for it's own
sake will most likely do just that. That may eventually include very
large interstellar city-ships capable of transporting hundreds and
thousands of people anywhere. People will be born, work, study, play,
garden, and die on them.

FWIW, the on-going debate reminds me of Asimov's Foundation Universe,
and all that entails.

At least you now where my own personal predilections lay. ;-)

steve

Regards
Steven Vincent Johnson
www.OrionWorks.com