On Sep 8, 2008, at 8:45 AM, Terry Blanton wrote:

On Mon, Sep 8, 2008 at 8:28 AM, Horace Heffner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Let's close our eyes, relax, and pretend there is no
problem.

Just as well since, if the cause is CO2, this will be a rapid positive
feedback system which is severly underdamped.

Terry

It's a little early to tell about the damping, and thus how much time we have. When the arctic ocean is open we may see increased polar evaporation, cloud cover, snow fall, over summer snow, and thus the beginning of an ice age. This won't stop the warming globally though, and other lethal effects like the acidification of the oceans. Warming of the crust should produce crustal deformation and thus more earthquakes and vulcanism, adding to global dimming. Changing weather patterns will create droughts and increased forest fires, and dust bowls, providing more global dimming. These things will slow down the warming, but not stop it.

The immediate problem is passing the tipping point where the methane is released. Methane is 20 times more effective than CO2 at the greenhouse effect, and is lighter than air. It eventually oxidizes into CO2, but at high altitude. High altitude water vapor is a very effective greenhouse gas, and at some point the more you get the more you get. If we get enough of it we're permanent toast - fully burnt toast at that. The oceans will boil off and the surface of the earth will likely end up over 200 deg. C. Welcome to New Venus.

Best regards,

Horace Heffner
http://www.mtaonline.net/~hheffner/