On Sun, 21 Jun 2009, Michel Jullian wrote:
> Assuming for a moment the plasma was actually holding excess
> electrons, why wouldn't they just fly to the inside of the glass
> envelope, which is of course positively charged, and remain stuck on
> that dielectric? This would result in a larger capacitor with the same
> charge, i.e. a drop in capacitor voltage.

I finally noticed the word "hiddink."  I thought this thread was about
general principles, rather than about this patent:

   http://www.rexresearch.com/hiddink/hiddink.htm

Yep, Michel has it right:  a plasma is somewhat like a liquid metal, and
if you used it for capacitor plates, they'd flow towards each other.

Hiddink has wrong ideas:  if a conductive capacitor plate suddenly becomes
an insulator, then its charge must disappears?  No.  Its charge just
becomes immobile, either trapped on the gas ions, or trapped on surfaces
where the gas ions migrated.    Metal is to plastic, as salt-water is to
ice.   Saltwater is a conductor because it's full of movable charges,
but when you freeze it, it turns insulating.   The charges just get
solidified, they don't disappear.

BIG PROBLEM:  What if Bequerel had stuck to his guns, and insisted against
all evidence that uranium can store sunlight?

Imagine what might have happened if he'd sneeringly kept pushing his
private theory, the one where uranium fogs film plates only if you leave
the uranium ore in sunlight first.  That was Bequerel's original idea.
Because it went against observations, he discarded it. If he'd hotly
defended it against everyone, used namecalling against all critics, and
refused to slightly consider that he might be wrong, then it's certain
that other researchers would recoil in disgust.  And next, they'd refuse
to try replicating the effect.  Perhaps they'd even ignore his first
report: that uranium fogs film.

BIGGER PROBLEM:  crackpots are crackpots whenever they discover a new
unexplained phenomenon, then skip over any need for detailed description.
Instead they jump immediately to pushing their personal idea, fight any
suggestion of their own error, and perhaps hide any parts of their
observations which don't fit their theories.  (Hmmm, what if Hiddick
didn't see any lightning at all, but heard a loud bang?)  And, if their
theories are genuinely flawed and crazy ...then nobody tries replicating
the anomaly, and everyone ignores the crackpot's original observations.

The same thing happened with Hutchison Effect.  Hutchison pushes all sorts
of personal theories, refuses to consider that they might be wrong, and
is therefore labeled as a crackpot.  No professional researcher bothers
to check whether his anomalies can be replicated, or even considers the
possibility that they might have been real.

Possibly the same thing happened with the Searl effect: a genuine gravity
phenomenon is ignored because its discoverer uses it to promote an
incorrect personal theory, while rejecting all possibility of personal
error.

So, what if everything Hiddick observed ...is actually real?

His explanation of the phenomenon still could be wrong.  Suppose he'd
started out by trying to verify an incorrect theory, then stumbled over a
weird phenomenon by accident?  In his mind, finding any odd event is
certain proof that his earthshaking theory must be true.  But Murphy's Law
says that the odd event is a matter of dumb luck, and it has nothing to do
with the theory that led him to that experiment.

On the other hand, the discovery of an EMP "death ray" is probably best
left in the alt-science netherworld, forgotten and untested.

William J. Beaty                            SCIENCE HOBBYIST website
billb at amasci com                         http://amasci.com
EE/programmer/sci-exhibits   amateur science, hobby projects, sci fair
Seattle, WA  206-762-3818    unusual phenomena, tesla coils, weird sci