No, you make a mistake.

You have followed the line of thought that some forms of evidence have value
and others don't but in truth all forms of evidence can have value and no
form of evidence is perfect.

Of course a patent can have scientific value bit if it has value to
scientist who are disinterested in another matter again.

The patents are evidence that something like this may have worked, that
someone considered it worthwhile patenting.
In the case of the JLN patent it states they replicated Hiddink and got
success though less than they expected so they patented an improved version.

That is evidence, not proof but evidence unless you care more about games
than truth.