>From Mr. Zell:

> First, I think Congress should convert all of Hawaii over to electric
> vehicles.  Maybe Puerto Rico, too.  Who needs a 300 mile range?
>
> Unfortunately,  this looks like a commuter car for rich folks like Ed
> Begley. Other than that, they gotta get the price down for California,
> especially in this economy.  I could see homes with two cars:  one for long
> trips (gas) and one for commute (electric).

I agree. I would also add: The concept of owning two cars, one
electric for most of the short range trips, plus a gas version for
long-range trips might be considered the "American Dream", but I
wonder how many Americans will soon be able to afford such
extravagance. The laws of supply & demand combined with the fact that
the global population (all five/six plus billion of us) are striving
to become more affluent inevitably translates to increased scarcity of
goods for everyone in the form of higher prices.

It might make more economic sense to continue making monthly down
payments on the city commuter electric car, and then simply rent the
long rang gas guzzler for those summer trips out west to Newport,
Oregon. Better yet, it might be even cheaper to take the Amtrak out
west and rent a car at the vacation spot. Unfortunately, significant
portions of Amtrak sorely needs federal funding to upgrade their
passenger cars and track system.

Regards
Steven Vincent Johnson
www.OrionWorks.com