A friend writes below.

 have another friend who's a professor of Biology at a university who  no
longer works at that university (he resigned in emotional distress) who's now
 out looking for a job in high schools... He has a PhD and 16 plus years of
 experience as a prof.

And he hasn't found a job in a high school? Frank.  That's scary. And I
have another friend who's been let go from the university as  an adjunct
professor without tenure. He taught music part time. Now he's playing  the
piano
in bars.

Oh, what a world. I think our economy has irrevocably  changed and we just
haven't realized it yet. I do not believe we will come out  of this recess
ion. I believe it is a permanent recession, a new economy, and we  must tailor
our lives to fit it.