Chris sez:

Just imagine what would happen to our economy if we had a device like the
> Replicator on Startrek.  Anyone could have anything from clothing to gold
> bars to Earl Grey Tea instantly. The overall effect would be profoundly
> deflationary and the only jobs that remained would be menial cleaning or
> customer service - and a few very important critical jobs that maintain the
> Technological Cornucopia.
>
> Now, ask yourself, *how much of a "Replicator" do we already possess?  *The
> internet has crashed the value of recorded music and films.  It is poised to
> now devalue jobs such as travel agents, encyclopedia salesmen, and broadcast
> television.  Future technology such as stem cells will compromise the
> employment of neurosurgeons,  home health care aides, dialysis technicians
> and much more.  "Green"  technology is going to be very destructive as to
> jobs and some in Congress are starting to realize it.   Get rid of all the
> jobs connected with hauling coal and hire a few window washers for your
> solar panels.
>
> I hate to say it but governments will have to get very busy redistributing
> wealth.  Jobs are going to evaporate especially as we approach a condition
> in which we can easily handle the physical needs of most people with very
> few critical maintenance positions.

It's called: Fear of the unknown.

I suspect just about every new invention, process, or new methodology, that
threatened to take away someone's livelihood evoked similar fears within our
society. I bet Jed, or resident Vort historian, could give many vivid
examples of this.

Not to fear. As we get over the initial panic, society is poised to make a
significant quantum leap. It often results in the creation of new products
and services that never had the chance to develop in the past because the
"labor" wasn't available. Typically, this "recycling" of human resources has
caused our standard of living to improve.

However, the process can occasionally be a bumpy road, particularly for
those displaced.

Retraining is essential. Governments must help out.

Regards
Steven Vincent Johnson
www.OrionWorks.com
www.zazzle.com/orionworks