At 10:40 PM 10/27/2009, you wrote:

On Oct 27, 2009, at 1:39 PM, Abd ul-Rahman Lomax wrote:

If anyone is already set up and running codeposition or other LENR
expriments, and would like to try using LR-115, I can provide small
quantities of fresh material at a reasonable price, contact me. You
can buy the material directly from France, if anyone wants to buy
it in the minimum order, which is 25 9x12 cm sheets of 6 micron red
cellulose acetate on 100 microns of clear polyester, I paid about
$350, all things considered, for the package delivered to me. I
also have some Boron-10 neutron converter screen which will convert
thermal and epithermal neutrons to alpha radiation.

What are your prices?

Details. Everyone is always bugging me about details.

LR-115 type 1 film, per sheet, 9x12 cm, $28.
(I plan to offer cut pieces, possibly serialized, $1.50 each, 10 for $10.00. But I haven't touched the sheets yet.)

Boron-10 converter screen, 1x2 cm, $25. *Very* limited availability, I only have a few pieces, until I have evidence it has applications and am willing to plonk down the more than $750 it will cost to buy a sheet. Prefer to sell to people doing a SPAWAR replication or similar. I'll sell LR-115 to anyone, though, and, hopefully, I'll be able to do the same with the Boron-10.

Plus shipping by Priority Mail.

Sales will be through Textura Trading Company, payment by credit card, prices are FOB Northampton.

It may be useful to test or calibrate your LR-115 with known particle
sources before employing it in actual CF experiments.

I'll use a smoke detector source. Haven't yet.

It appears to
be used for fairly high energy particles and/or massive particles,
like radon and thoron measurement. It might be good to check it out
against a proton source.

Do you have an intended protocol for developing LR-115?

"Type 1 is especially designed for its higher sensitivity to alpha of lower energies."

Instructions were packed with it. They say that it should not be agitated, but slow movement good.

Just some misc. notes follow.

Which are appreciated.

LR-115 general information and instructions for use:

http://pagespro-orange.fr/dosirad/Notice%20LR115-A.htm

That's the packaging insert, I'll provide a copy with every sale.

Looks like the etching protocol is somewhat similar to CR-39, even
though LR-115 is cellulose nitrate based.

It appears stirring has a significant effect (2 x) on etch rate:

http://www.cityu.edu.hk/ap/nru/pub_j79.pdf

Side note: utlrasonics might be used to increase development time.

Maybe. Keep it simple and uniform. This paper was a study of Type 2, which has a 12 micron cellulose acetate layer, twice as thick.

Humidity has a 20% effect on track diameter and also affects etch rate:

http://cat.inist.fr/?aModele=afficheN&cpsidt=3554027

Probably not good to put it into water.

Water for a short time would probably not hurt it. CF electrolyte ???? quite possibly, even probably.

LR-115 has some interesting but probably not important sensitivities
(dielectric constant, conductivity, glass transition temperature) to
gamma radiation:

http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/journal/104064351/abstract? CRETRY=1&SRETRY=0

The fact it has conductivity makes it possibly useful for HV field
bias experiments - right up close to the action.

According to Dosirad's data sheet, the films are unaffected by electrons or radiation in the electromagnetic spectrum, i.e., gamma rays. However, the paper above is not talking about the same thing. Heavy doses of gamma rays may affect conductivity, but not track detection. Obviously, pour enough radiation in there, all bets are off.

Sensitivity of CR-39 and LR-144 differs:

http://www.osti.gov/energycitations/product.biblio.jsp? osti_id=5549887#at

Actually, the abstract may be saying that CR-39 can overestimate radon, but I didn't understand what they were talking about.

It is of possible interest that Makrofol polycarbonate film is used
for light ion detection in a similar manner:

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science?_ob=ArticleURL&_udi=B6TVS-3YF44MN-3&_user=10&_rdoc=1&_fmt=&_orig=search&; _sort=d&_docanchor=&view=c&_searchStrId=1067056757&_rerunOrigin=google&_ acct=C000050221&_version=1&_urlVersion=0&_userid=10&md5=fabb46ccecdcc1ab 514d2e57c0e9ce85

http://tinyurl.com/yfewrfs

but Markrofol development can be complicated:

http://cat.inist.fr/?aModele=afficheN&cpsidt=2382448

Markrofol is useful for detection of neutrons and 0.5 MeV - 4 MeV
alphas:

http://rpd.oxfordjournals.org/cgi/content/abstract/34/1-4/25

This was the commercial product, apparently. DE. They are suggesting it in combination with an n, alpha radiator for neutron detection. That would be boron-10....

Available at:

http://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=Makrofol+film +price&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

http://tinyurl.com/ylpcurg

It is not so cheap either.

Actually, it's pretty cheap. Problem is, this isn't intended for application for radiation detection, so how long did it sit on a shelf? Makrofol is just CR-39 with no particular care taken about product history. It might be fine, and it might not. I have intended to investigate these products. The price of 200 sheets of 24 inches by 48 inches is $721.13. So that's about $3.60 per sheet. (Actually, somewhere on the same web site it was $500 something). I could cut about 3600 1x2 cm chips from that one chip. I wouldn't buy that much, I'd try to find someone to sell me one sheet of Makrofol. This is from http://www.professionalplastics.com/MAKROFOLDE1-1-FILM

Thin films can be prepared by dissolving Markrofol in chloroform.

Now, *that*'s interesting. Just searching for where to buy Makrofol, I saw lots of papers, such as this interesting one: http://pintassilgo2.ipen.br/biblioteca/2007/12244.pdf

A stack of very thin sheets of Makrofol would be excellent, because tracks could be seen across many layers. It would be nice to have very thin LR-115, i.e., very thin substrate, just enough to give some strength and reasonable dimensional stability, instead of the 100 micron polyester used now. 6 micron mylar might be great. It could directly show stopping distance, helping identify the particles and energies. Now, can we buy pure cellulose acetate film in very thin sheets? Or how about blocks of it, etch the surface, then microtome a layer off at a time.... Or the same with polycarbonate. Etching and polishing might work. Etch a bit, photograph in very high resolution and the right lighting conditions, maybe with images at different focus depths, as SPAWAR does to characterise pit geometry, then polish the surface smooth, etch again, etc. The amount taken off should take the surface level below the etched pits from previous etches, and that could be seen with microscopic examination.