On Jan 12, 2010, at 9:15 AM, Stephen A. Lawrence wrote:

On 01/12/2010 12:34 PM, Esa Ruoho wrote:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/79138...@n00/4268789755/

First slide:

"However certain components (such as the magnets used)
store energy, to prove over unity we must prove that the
energy of these components does not degrade during the
interaction."

As far as I know this is totally a red herring -- a straw man. I don't
think a motor which "consumes" the energy stored in permanent magnets,
which eventually are demagnetized, has ever been demonstrated, and I'm
not at all sure it's possible.

Sure, you can ruin magnets in a motor, but that's not at all the same as
*making* *use* of the magnetic field of the magnets as it degrades --
i.e., loss of magnetization is always just an artifact, never something vital to the motor's operation. If the magnetic field of the permanent
magnets is being "used up", then replacing them with *better* magnets
which didn't degrade would destroy the motor's operation.

Certainly if a motor were demonstrated which genuinely converted the
field of the permanent magnets into kinetic energy, while "draining"
their magnetism, it would be nearly as remarkable as a true OU motor.

So true. There isn't very much energy embodied in the permanent magnetization. I haven't been following this thread, but from the above it is still clearly noteworthy that it does not take much more energy (in terms of orders of magnitude) to permanently magnetize a neo magnet than it does to energize a similar sized piece of iron for a single cycle of an induction motor. A single very brief discharge of a good sized sized capacitor through a coil around the magnet will do the job - even from zero magnetization. If the flux changes of the motor tend to de-magnetize a neo magnet, then isolating the magnet by an intervening iron or soft steel "magnetic circuit" can in some cases greatly diminish the de-magnetization, especially if you can coordinate the parts motion such that the flux always has a nearly constant high mu path back through the permanent magnet.

Best regards,

Horace Heffner
http://www.mtaonline.net/~hheffner/