At 03:07 AM 1/14/2010, Esa Ruoho wrote:

At 05:45 PM 1/13/2010, Terry Blanton ." He claims that the energy
output is greater than the input, but he says that again and again
without showing a measurement of this. "Next week," he says.

So, Abd, do you even know what happens next week? They open it up for
visitors to come and measure it themselves. If they (steorn) had
measured it this or that way, the skeptics would have wanted it a
third way. If they did that, then a fourth and fifth way. If those,
then the equipment wasn't to be trusted, and so on. It never ends.

That's right, and that's exactly what they are about. Release just enough to keep the buzz going. These people are marketers, and they are marketing a product, very effectively. They are marketing differently than they would market if they had an actual over-unity device. If they had that, they might not be marketing at all, by this time. They'd have a demonstration model that works, that can be replicated easily, that shows the effect they claim to have discovered. Do they believe they have a real discovery, or do they believe that they have something that looks enough like a real discovery that they can milk it for years?

What I'm saying is that their behavior matches the latter possibility, not the former.

In one month, they go from a totally stupid demonstration, inviting lots of derisive comment, setting up the conditions for it, then the next month, they have a far more sophisticated demonstration going, but still not actually addressing the points made by skeptics (or just neutral critics that might even welcome an over-unity device!). They've been at this for years.

This should be obvious: they aren't revealing enough details so that someone can accurately replicate it. That's part of the plan, and, directly asked, they might even acknowledge this. They are revealing "glimpses" of the technology, meting it out carefully so as to generate maximum interest among their target audience without dousing that interest with a bucket of cold water. They would justify the drips and dabs approach by saying that, after all, they are selling the technology. Want to see it, pay for it!

They don't have a demonstration device. Look carefully. Everything is "we are working on it." "We have arranged with a German calorimetry company so that they will...." All future.

It is conceivable that they believe they have found an effect. A small one. And they realized that scaling this up to something solid would require much more money than they have or will be able to obtain as direct venture funding. So they got the bright idea to sell what they *do* have in hand. Some experimental evidence. Valid or not. And if they sell this, what they are doing is legal.

But, of course, what they have, then, isn't a proof, it's just a clue, with the far more likely truth being that it is simply an as-yet unexplained anomaly. And by keeping it secret, they sure aren't going to allow others to find the explanation, because that would blow their business opportunity!

They are selling mystery. Call it entertainment. Have a few hundred dollars to blow? Like puzzles? You can buy it and see for yourself. Of course, since it's a secret and under a non-disclosure agreement, you can't tell anyone else, and you sure can't get your money back. Or maybe you can, under certain narrow conditions. We don't know what's in the NDA, the NDA prohibits disclosure of its contents, and I'd strongly guess that before you even receive the NDA you sign a previous NDA that prohibits disclosure of the final NDA contents.

Someone judgment-proof might get through and around this, but, then again, they investigate anyone applying and don't accept everyone. I assume they check out this possibility. Whatever they are, they are not stupid. And when they do a stupid demonstration, like in December, be sure of this: they know that it was stupid. That's part of their plan. You've got two reasonable choices:

1. They are stupid. This choice, however, is not terribly compatible with the opinion that they have something real. More likely, it would also be a stupid mistake, or even a less-stupid one.

2. They are not stupid.

(They might occasionally do a stupid thing, but as consistently stupid as they appear to have been, no. Their apparent stupidity at times is part of their plan. Oops! The bearings burned out! We've only been working for a few years preparing this incredibly simple demonstration, and we didn't anticipate that the temperature would rise as it did. Silly us, we apologize. Then, how long was it?, a long time later, another simple stupid demonstration. This time the bearings don't burn out, but it's all run by a big battery that obviously runs down, but there is no measure of power input, nor of power dissipation in the coils, and no measure of acceleration of the rotor, with any calibration of speed vs. stored energy. Yet they are claiming, what was it, 200% efficiency?)

Imagine this scenario. They have a specific plan for how long they will continue the charade. Steorn is a corporation, limited liability. At some point the income will fall below what they'd want to see to continue. So they walk, saying "Sorry. It seems we were fooled by X. There is no Orbo effect. We quit. There are a few assets left in Steorn, apply to our solicitor for refunds if you are due anything. Oh!? The solicitor quit also since there wasn't enough left to pay him? I guess you could apply to the bankruptcy judge. Sorry it worked out that way, folks, but how could we know that it was a stupid mistake? You think we defrauded you? Please read the agreements you signed, they cover this contingency. Tell you what, folks, to show how sincere and open we are, as my last act as CEO of Orbo and on behalf of the board, you are all released from the NDA. Enjoy, share it with the world. Don't you think this was quite a show? Compare the budget of Orbo with any other similar entertainment. And, by the way, I'm available for hire as a publicity manager, if you like what I did, you could have it for your own project.... but I've decided to take a vacation, these years have been stressful, so you can write me care of this resort in the Bahamas...."

My advice to anyone considering buying in: it's almost certainly bogus. If you enjoy a good scam, you can buy in, willingly spending your money to gain access to the secret. Notice Sean's response to the Zero Point Energy question? Designed to keep the ZPE people interested without making any claim at all. No, they aren't stupid at all!

think they're doing a good thing, allowing visitors to measure it
their way with their own devices,

Really. Full access? No NDA? I'll believe it when I see it.

 nobody is going to believe steorn's
way even if they filmed themselves walking into a shop buying a meter
and unwrapping it in front of the Orbo and cameras, skeptics would
still believe they're scamming, somehow.

OF COURSE! They are milking this fact. Look, there is a "belief" that perpetual motion machines are impossible. It's really a strong hypothesis, based on centuries of experience with efforts, and some kind of theoretical underpinning having to do with conservation of energy. They are claiming, openly, violation of conservation of energy. Okay, there is one known way to violate COE, and that is with mass-energy conversion. So what is really known is mass-energy conservation. I think of it as conservation of light, and consider mass to be trapped light. Are they touching this, are they converting mass to energy? I doubt it. So that leaves ZPE, zero-point energy. What about their device would allow accumulation of ZPE? Nothing that I can see, at all. It's a gross-effect device. Or is it? Could there be some magnetic-domain effect that does tap ZPE. I'll freely confess knowing so little about ZPE that I could be wildly off.

They have no clue that it's ZPE, and that's what Sean's comment revealed. What he said was basically, hey, we don't understand this thing, we are just trying to sell it so that someone else can figure out what to do with it.

They found what looked to them like an anomaly, and they figured out how to sell a mere anomaly without doing the work to actually elucidate either what is going on or to verify and prove that there is anomaly. It's *extremely* clever.

 If THEY come with their OWN
precious devices and measure it THEMSELVES and then think that their
own device was magically tampered with, well, then I guess you have a
special breed of skeptic that don't believe their own equipment or
eyes, which would be pretty amazing.

What we have here is a believer ready to imagine preposterous scenarios that haven't happened and then assert them as some kind of validation of Steorn. And he talks about "headcases"!!!:

 I know some of the headcases on
steornforum and villageofthebanned could even justify and rant about
that too, but don't you think it'd be a bit ludicrous?

Consider this: anyone sufficiently interested in this to join those groups has to be some kind of "head case." You could even call me one for bothering to explain what steorn might be doing. Serious skeptics would probably think this. "We knew this was bogus, so why even bother refuting it?"

I'm involved with Vortex because I became interested in cold fusion, which was treated as obviously bogus by much of the scientific community. But there is a huge difference. While initially the field was dogged with the secrecy of Pons and Fleischmann, that secrecy was transient and clearly motivated by legal necessity as perceived by the involved lawyers. And enough had been revealed to allow independent replication of the basic effect, which, within five or six years, became conclusive evidence of nuclear reactions. Because of the initial rejection for non-scientific reasons, pure theory denying experimental results, which rejection became deeply entrenched, a gap appeared between what was known by those who studied the field and those who did not. That gap interests me, it fits into my general interest of social communication and decision-making structure.

How can we be both efficient, overall, and yet open to new evidence that might deeply revise our opinions?

With the systems and structures I imagine, a real discovery, such as might have been behind the Steorn work, could be examined and reviewed by relatively small numbers of interested people, with what they find expanding as needed until it finds either validation (which would then expand further and become broadly accessible) or clear rejection for clear reasons (which would also generally be accessible for those who look). Cellular, hierarchical structure. It already exists, but because it is informal and diffuse, it's highly inefficient and often ineffective. Making it explicit, the structure, will create the equivalent of a social nervous system for information processing, with links and filters. 'Nuff said for now.

Next week is less than five days from now.

He said "next week," as I recall, I was using Sean's language. I did watch the whole set of videos, and, except as might exist in the value of watching a really skillful marketing obfuscation, it was a waste of time. I predicted that Steorn would up the ante in January, back in December. Did anyone notice the supposed examination of attempted Steorn replications. Plural. Which only looked at one claim, tore it apart briefly without really examining it, but looked at nothing else. And most of that video was pure Orbo promotion, not an examination of any replications. Sure, quite likely, the one examined wasn't a true replication. So? It's obfuscation, which is part of the business strategy. None of it is stupid.

They are promising results that they haven't obtained yet. But they are'nt lying, unless they make a mistake. When you try to obfuscate without lying, you will sometimes make a mistake, because the intention to obfuscate is a form of lying that doesn't involve actual statements of untruth, but the intention is similar, and intention has a way of becoming manifest in actions. It's a bit of a dangerous game, but my guess is that Steorn is sufficiently protected by the NDA. And, notice what else they sell.

Equipment which can be used to investigate the Orbo effect (and similar, or other legitimate research, even). Now, isn't what they are doing excellent publicity for those real products? It might even happen that their business in that area is sufficiently stimulated that Steorn survives and doesn't go belly-up. I'm telling you, it's extremely clever and probably effective. And legal.

Hey, here's my own plan for how to make money with Orbo. We find a seriously trustworthy escrow. We make bets, the shortest description, on whether or not Orbo is demonstrated to be over-unity within a fixed period of time. The judgment must be sufficiently clear that the escrow officer can determine the outcome. And then the payoffs are made, after deductions for escrow costs. I'll put my money where my mouth is, because I need to make some money, and I'm quite sufficiently convinced by my own arguments that the probability of a real over-unity phenomenon here is very close to zero. However, a "believer" at this point might place the probability higher. So the odds would be negotiated; and the bids would be public. Thus we would, backed by real investment, be able to estimate and express concretely the *depth* of our belief.

The funds would, pending, be invested in some conservative investment agreeable to the affected parties (so they would share in the risk and benefits of variations in values, there would be no debt at the end. Unfortunately, any profit (including return on invesment) would be taxable, but TAANSTAAFL.) To keep escrow costs down, it should be very simple.

Interesting idea, eh? A fool and his money are soon parted, and that's a good thing, because money represents social control, and social control by fools harms the society. It's a rough system, but it roughly works.