Hi Peter, nice to see you here!

2010/3/21 Peter Gluck <peter.gl...@gmail.com>:
> A quantitative evaluation- see please the claims in the Focardi Rossi paper-
> is foolproof
> I think. Heat from radioactive stuff at ths magnitudes is very dangerous, I
> think.

Not really, there are "off the shelf" radioisotope heat sources of
this kind of power magnitude which are quite safe even though they are
quite compact (~6 Kg per kW) see:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_Purpose_Heat_Source

<<The General Purpose Heat Source is a stackable, compact unit
(module) designed to deliver over 600 degrees Celsius to a
Radioisotope Thermoelectric Generator (RTG) or an Advanced Stirling
Radioisotope Generator (SRG), generating 250 watts per module at the
beginning of a mission when used with an RTG or ASRG. These units are
designed to supply heat consistently and safely over a wide range of
extreme conditions. They measure 9.948 cm wide x 9.32 cm deep x 5.82
cm high and weigh no more than 1.44 kg each.
GPHS of this, or very similar, design were used in the GPHS-RTGs of
the following missions : Cassini-Huygens, New Horizons, Galileo probe,
Ulysses probe.
Safety:
GPHSs are designed with safety in mind and employ plutonium-238
pellets encased in iridium to generate alpha particles which are
completely absorbed in the heat source to produce heat; thus, no
special radiation shielding is necessary to absorb these particles.
The resulting iridium-clad plutonium pellets are encased within nested
layers of carbon-based material and placed within an aeroshell housing
to comprise the complete GPHS-module.>>

But it occurs to me that there would be an easy way to discriminate
between such a constant heat source and a controllable one, which
presumably a genuine LENR cell would be: turn the heat off. If this
can be done, and full access is granted to the cell's environment to
check for an external hidden power source (AC current in the cell's
heater resistor  monitored by a DC ammeter, hidden heater in the water
cooling circuit, microwaves, IR beam, witricity, whatever), then yes
such an evaluation can be foolproof. If the experts are good at
detecting trickery that is, i.e. they can never be fooled by a
magician.

A much more foolproof evaluation, for this or any other device
claiming excess heat, would be to take it to Earthtech's lab. They
will test it for free(*), and a positive evaluation from them would be
worth billions for the device's inventor, and zillions for the entire
field.

Why people like Ed Storms or Mike McKubre don't take up Earthtech's
offer, which I am told is still open, is beyond me. Any idea why
Peter?

Michel

(*) http://www.newenergytimes.com/v2/news/2005/NET12.shtml#earthtech

<<Earthtech hereby offers to test promising cells in MOAC free. We
believe that the opportunity of observing a genuine excess heat effect
in an accurate calorimeter is well worth the time, energy, and money
we will expend in the process.>>