Everyone now seems to be looking ahead and focusing on replication. Good. If
anyone thinks that replication of this device is a “wicked problem” now, or
in an abstract way, then they will learn soon that it becomes diabolical …
why?

The device only works with a secret catalyst, together with the nickel.
Rossi say this himself.

My colleague asked Focardi directly “do you know what the catalyst is?” He
said without hesitation that he did not know, and that no one except Rossi
knows.

How can the device be replicated successfully without that detail, and do
you really want to see a lot of null results ?

The patent rejection notice from the WIPO for the original filing states
that he must disclose the catalyst or drop the reference to it, yet in his
revised filing he did not disclose. This indicates that it will remain a
“trade secret” and that the patent is essentially worthless except as an
threat of litigation.

I think Peter’s wishful solution to the wicked problem is therefore naïve.
Who will attempt a meaningful replication without disclosure of relevant
details?

Rossi (LTI) cannot have it both ways; and he is free to keep the catalyst a
“trade secret” or to patent it, but replication could be impossible without
that detail. More likely, the risk to Rossi is that someone in an attempted
replication will discover it, or find a better one, and they will patent it.

Jones

From: Peter Gluck

Dear Jed,

You are right. I am working out- in the frame of my blog a system for real
life problem solving. The painful puzzle of CF's bad reproducibility seemed
to be a "wicked problem" (see Wikipedia etc- it is an fundamental concept)
Now it has one solution.