On Wed, 23 Feb 2011 11:24: Horace Heffner wrote
[snip] The following 1993 article includes my quantitative treatment of this
approach:

http://mtaonline.net/~hheffner/ZPE-CasimirThrust.pdf

Horace,
                I was able to follow your paper and agree with your results but
have some questions/suggestions regarding the physical limitations you mention
to scale this effect to practical levels. You keep redirecting your gas to
snake up and then down while alternating the geometry to unbalance the momentum
transfer to the cavity walls. Since molecules oppose change in energy density
vs atoms they transfer momentum to the walls using energy supplied by the pump
to force the continued circulation through this opposition. My suggestion is to
forgo this "mechanical"  Up/Down design in favor of a self assembled "across
and back" tubing where the bottom tube is filled with nano powder but the top -
return tube is not. Instead of accumulating a differential between cavity pairs
this would increase the inertia of gas atoms traveling "across" but not "back"
and allow you to accumulate the momentum transfer in bulk.  I agree you have to
keep changing the energy density like your up/down arrangement to keep the
molecules "sticky" / opposing change but am suggesting that the lateral motion
of the gas through the powder can accumulate a transfer of momentum to the
walls of the powder filled tubing that will not be mirrored in the return path.
This method doesn't require the careful alignment of alternating nano geometry
to the vertical axis, instead it exploits the opposition of random packing
geometry
To the lateral flow of the gas in one direction.  A second loop would be needed
to cancel any rotational torque but would be a bargain trade off considering
the additional suppression and fabrication savings.
Regards
Fran