On 2011-05-01 01:30, mix...@bigpond.com wrote:
...surely, a DC electrolysis cell will only create Oxygen at one electrode and
only Hydrogen at the other? In short, it is quite simple to produce pure
Hydrogen?

Even I know that oxygen and hydrogen are generated separately at each electrode, what I was wondering is if in a closed system (to build up pressure) there isn't risk of oxygen spillover where it isn't needed. It's a honest question, I don't know the technical details, although I do know how basic electrolysis systems are made. OK, maybe it's a silly question after all.

Electrolysis can actually produce very high pressures. Much higher than those
required here.

I wasn't aware. I guess then it would make sense to use electrolysis in that way.

Not it's really consumed....but we don't know exactly how much is consumed. That
depends on the actual reactions that are taking place.

I see.

Cheers,
S.A.