Hi,
[snip]

Yes, but the carbon gets recycled (albeit over hundreds of millions of years in
some cases), whereas the Nickel would be "once through".

According to
http://kyawlinnzaw.weebly.com/uploads/4/5/1/3/4513060/ni_laterite_full_description.pdf

the world's Nickel deposits (including laterite) amount to about 202 Mt of
contained metal. (page 191).

According to http://www.eia.doe.gov/oiaf/ieo/world.html World energy consumption
is about 500 quad / annum. This is expected to rise (see graph).

If only the Ni62/Ni64 is used (together about 5% of Ni), then 202 Mt used to
produce energy at 60% efficiency (because a lot would be used to produce heat at
100% efficiency), would last us for 112.7 years, assuming no growth in annual
energy consumption rate, and further assuming that it is our only energy source.

This amounts to a Nickel production rate of 1.8 Mt / annum, which I think is
about 3 times the current rate of production.

>IOW it is very common. Scarcity is not a problem - if the price is right.
>
>Jones

Regards,

Robin van Spaandonk

http://rvanspaa.freehostia.com/Project.html