Jones

From: Roarty, Francis X

Robin,
                I had the same original "displacement" concept until
recently and I think it is roughly equivalent to the "up shifted" term Scott
and Thomas introduced me to. The issue with the "displacement" concept is it
carries with it   an image of a vacant portion of space where the displaced
wavelength used to reside. While my relativistic theory doesn't exactly
match either concept the "up shifted" concept Thomas Prevenslik first
introduced me to comes from a thermal dynamic perspective of Casimir effect
- I used to consider this the "other" camp for Casimir theory vs. the
"displacement" camp that I was more comfortable with - Thomas comes at this
from a  perspective of thermal dynamics and will argue the plates are not
"pushed" together and that ether doesn't need to exist to explain the
effect, he explains the effect as an imbalance created by "up shifting"
causing the plates to self attract.  Although  my "relativistic" concept
now represents a new 3rd option/camp I chose to refer to the "up shifting"
version as the alternative because it already deals with what I consider a
misconception of there being a "vacancy" - the energy summation is still
reduced because energy content reduces with wavelength until some cutoff
frequency beyond which it is meaningless to integrate, therefore an up
shifted spectrum will also sum to a lower energy total.  For a while I just
went with the idea that the vacancy got filled in with shorter wavelengths
but the "up shifted" concept already handles that issue plus it is an easier
transition to the  "relativistic" concept because it already has the same
remote perspective of faster wavelengths inside the cavity... the only thing
it lacked was my position that the wavelengths would appear unchanged to a
local observer in the cavity... which as I have said previously is more in
keeping with the changes in energy density, anomalous increases in C
transition time thru the cavity as measured externally and
Claims of variation of radioactive decay rates.
Regards
Fran

Re: [Vo]:We have a theory: Relativistic Casimir Cavities!
mixent
Wed, 04 May 2011 00:28:40 -0700
Hi,
[snip]
>Scott and I have collaborated and communicated at length regarding a
Casimir
>theory based on relativistic contraction of the longer vacuum wavelengths
>which still appear full length to an observer inside the cavity instead of
>the present theory where the longerwavelengths are simply upshifted to
>higher frequency inside the cavity.

As I understand it, they are not normally upshifted. They are excluded
altogether, because they are too long to fit in the cavity. It's precisely
because they are excluded that they press on the outside, but not on the
inside
walls of the cavity, hence producing a pressure that pushes the walls
together.
Only the wavelengths greater than the cavity dimensions are responsible for
this, and since these represent but a minute fraction of the total, the
force is
very small, until the walls get very close together. That's because as they
approach one another, the excluded wavelengths get shorter and shorter,
representing an ever increasing amount of vacuum energy.

Regards,

Robin van Spaandonk

http://rvanspaa.freehostia.com/Project.html