On Wed, May 11, 2011 at 12:19 AM, Joshua Cude <joshua.c...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, May 10, 2011 at 9:12 PM, <mix...@bigpond.com> wrote:
>

>> This is based on the assumption that the actual operating temperature is
>> indeed
>> 400C @ 15 kW. If it's in fact much less, then 130 kW for a short period
>> may not
>> be a problem. Perhaps it only gets up to 400C when the output is really
>> high?
>>

> That's true, so we can try to work in the other direction. If it's 400C @
> 130 kW, then at 15 kW it would be 370/9 + 30 = 70C. That seems rather low to
> be able to heat water flowing through at 1 L/s by 5C.
>

> Taking the temperature at 1500C (mp of steel) for the 130 kW spike, would
> give 1470/9 + 30 = 190C at 15 kW. If the heat is transferred through copper,
> then the limit would be its melting point at about 1100C, giving about 150C
> @ 15 kW. Those values still seem pretty low, but maybe it's possible.
>

> One can also try to calculate the necessary area required to transfer the
> claimed power. The range of heat transfer coefficients for liquid water is
> huge, but even at the highest value I found (10,000 W/m^2K), this would
> require an area of 1.5 m^2 to transfer 15 kW at 40C temperature difference
> (70C), or about .38 m^2 at 160C temp difference (190C). For a one inch id
> pipe, this would require a 5-m length or 1.2-m length for the two cases.
> Both seem hard to believe.
>

> On the other hand, for a temperature of 1000C, you could get 15 kW with a
> 20 cm 1" pipe. That begins to be believable, but rules out 130 kW.

Let me once again correct my post-midnight errors, and at the same time
improve the estimates, and withdraw this particular objection to the 18-hour
experiment.

I found a calculation of heat transfer coefficient for a situation
reasonably close to Rossi's 18 hour experiment: See example 2 at
http://www.arca53.dsl.pipex.com/index_files/conv4.htm. There, the flow rate
is about 1.5 L/s through a 25 mm pipe and the mean water temperature is 40C.
For this situation they calculate an overall heat transfer coefficient of
nearly 12 kW/m^2K.

For a deltaT = 160C (pipe temp 190C) and power transfer of 15 kW, the
necessary area is 15 / (12*160) = 0.0078 m^2, corresponding to a 25 mm (id)
pipe length of .0078 / (pi*.025) = 0.1 m. This seems entirely plausible.

So if these calculations are right (and I admit a strong possibility of
errors; I'm no expert), then 130 kW could be achieved with a 10 cm pipe at
about  1500C, and still get 15 kW at about 200C.