From: Axil Axil [mailto:janap...@gmail.com]
Sent: Monday, May 23, 2011 10:37 AM
To: vortex-l@eskimo.com
Subject: Re: [Vo]:Rossi uses sputtering for enrichment

  I believe that Rossi is using the Soret effect to enrich the heavy
isotopes of nickel when he formulates nickel oxide powder from pure nickel
nano-powder.

  Background:

  Thermophoresis

  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermophoresis

  [quote]Thermophoresis, thermodiffusion, or Soret effect (or Ludwig-Soret
effect), is a phenomenon observed when a mixture of two or more types of
motile particles (particles able to move) are subjected to the force of a
temperature gradient and the different types of particles respond to it
differently. The term "Sorét effect" normally means thermophoresis in
liquids only. The term "thermophoresis" is most often intended to mean the
behavior in aerosols, not liquids, but the broader meaning is also common.
The mechanisms of thermophoresis in liquid mixtures [Hoyt A. Stearns Jr.]