Hoyt A. Stearns Jr. <hoyt.stea...@gmail.com> wrote:

> More on the difficulty of reverse engineering:
>
> I just dismantled an expired ink cartridge from a Brother printer.
>
> The complexity and subtlety of the design was amazing, with its check
> valves, pressure relief valves, ambient pressure compensators, serpentine
> flow paths, not to mention the undoubetedly subtle chemistry of the ink,
> and
> many other things, is astounding.  If I had to reverse engineer such a
> thing
> it would take years.

Yes, if you were to do it, it would take years. However, if a experts in
printers from a rival manufacturer were to do it, it would take a few weeks.
They already know what to expect. They recognize the purpose of the
components. They will find few surprises. They have a lot of practice doing
this. It is very likely that every time a new printer model comes out, teams
of experts at the major manufacturers disassemble them and learn every
detail.

The people who will disassemble and reverse engineer the E-Cats will experts
in the relevant fields such as catalysts, nickel, control electronics and so
on.

In Sept. 1976, a Russian pilot defected to the West, landing a late model
MIG-25 fighter in Hokkaido. U.S. and Japanese experts took apart the
airplane down to the last screw, and learned about every aspect of it. A few
months later it was returned to the Russians. It took them only a few
months.